Rise Up Mentorship Program
AIGA Atlanta’s mentoring program “Rise Up,” founded in 2015, pairs emerging designers and students with established design professionals. The goal of the program is to empower individuals and strengthen the bonds in the design community.
How it Works
Each year, AIGA Atlanta accepts a select group of Mentee-Mentor pairs to participate in an exclusive program that promotes community, design education, and personal and professional development.
• Mentees and mentors fill out online applications
• Selected individuals are paired based on geography, interests, and other parameters.
• Mentee-Mentor pairs are introduced at a kick-off session where they establish goals and expectations to tailor their experience.
•They are encouraged to communicate at least monthly; most do so more frequently.
• Pairs meet again at a closing session where they are invited to share jointly produced projects and “aha” moments.
Open to students, recent graduates, and young professionals pursuing careers in design related fields. Mentees must be AIGA ATL members to participate.
The Mentor position is open to AIGA ATL members who are seasoned design
professionals with (5-20+) years’ experience in a design-related field.
There is a fee of $25 for all mentees to apply for the program. Participation is free for mentors, but the application process is still a requirement.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions you may have about the program. We will do our best to respond within 48-hours.
Guidelines and Responsibilities
See below for specific guidelines and responsibilities for the program. Please read prior to applying to the program.
•Participants are required to meet one-on-one once a month (can meet via Skype), though more frequent interactions are encouraged.
• Life happens, and sometimes obligations need to be rearranged. Please give your partner the respect of at least 24-hours cancellation notice prior to your scheduled meeting.
• Focus is on enhancing the skills necessary to be a successful professional designer. This is not considered an internship, nor a guarantee of employment. The program is entirely experiential and customized by participant according to their areas of need.
• The AIGA ATL Mentorship Committee will hand select pairs based on the application, geographic proximity, professional interests, and the outside interests of each applicant.
• Attendance is mandatory for all potential launch or closing parties.
• If using social media to detail this experience, please use hashtag #AIGARiseup