We are thrilled to announce the 3rd round of Rise Up, AIGA Atlanta’s exclusive mentorship program, designed to pair emerging designers with seasoned mentors from our own creative community. We accept designers at all stages of their career located ITP, OTP, and Beyond! This year, we will be accepting up to 40 mentees and 40 mentors.
How it Works
Each year, AIGA Atlanta accepts a select group of Mentor-Mentee pairs to participate in an exclusive mentorship program that promotes community, design education, and personal and professional development. Mentor-Mentee pairs are introduced at a kick-off session where they establish goals and expectations to tailor their experience. They are encouraged to communicate at least monthly; most do so more frequently. Pairs meet again at a closing session where they are invited to share jointly produced projects and “aha” moments.
How to Apply as a Mentee:
Register via Eventbrite.com and pay the non-refundable $25 application fee.
To complete your registration, fill out the 2017 Mentee Application. This information helps us pair Mentees with Mentors.
Save the Date for our mandatory Kick-Off Session on Saturday, January 28th. Further details will be announced when pairs are selected in early January 2017.
Open to students, recent graduates, and young professionals. At this time, mentee applicants are required to be AIGA members. One application per person, per program year until you are accepted or no longer meet the requirements. If interested, previous program mentees can give back by participating as mentors to design students in subsequent rounds.
How to Apply as a Mentor
The Mentor position is open to AIGA ATL members who are seasoned design professionals with (5-20+) years’ experience in a design-related field.
To apply to participate as a mentor, simply fill out the 2017 Mentor Application. Be sure to save the date for the mandatory Kick-Off Session scheduled for Saturday, January 28th. Further details will be announced when pairs are selected in early January 2017.
Note: the $25 registration fee is not required for Mentor candidates.
Please contact Alina Shafii at firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions you may have about the program. We will do our best to respond within 48-hours.
2017 Guidelines and Responsibilities
- Mentors and mentees agree to a commitment from January – May 2017. The minimum requirements are to meet one-on-one once a month (can meet via Skype), though more frequent interactions are encouraged.
- Life happens, and sometimes obligations need to be rearranged. Please give your partner the respect of at least 24-hours cancellation notice prior to your scheduled meeting.
- Focus is on enhancing the skills necessary to be a successful professional designer. This is not considered an internship, nor a guarantee of employment. The program is entirely experiential and customized by participant according to their areas of need.
- The AIGA Mentorship Committee will hand select pairs based on the application, geographic proximity, professional interests, and the outside interests of each applicant.
- Save the Date for our Kick-Off Session Saturday, January 28, 2017, where mentees and mentors will meet “officially” for the first time with mandatory attendance. Further details will be announced when pairs are selected in early January 2017.
- There will be a closing party tentatively planned for Saturday, May 13th with mandatory attendance. An official announcement with more details will be made closer to this date.
- If using social media to detail this experience, please use hashtag #AIGARiseup